Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Only Seven Years to Go Until 2015


So my sister in law just got a new phone that streams live television via her cell reception. So, unlike previous portable TVs, this thing actually works. As cool as this is, it seems about ten years too late. Shouldn’t we have had this before the year 2000? For that matter, where the hell are the jet packs? I feel I am owed a working, Boba Fett style jet pack. And don’t even get me started on flying cars (by the way, Blade Runnner sucked). Have Science Fiction movies set in the “near future” lied to me all this time? It's seven years past Space Odyssey and we're no where near taking an expedition to Jupiter. Come on science, get on the ball.

Mattel better get their R and D in gear. I expect hover boards to be a universal toy among children within the next five years. I know that Back to the Future Two was set in 2015, but the hover boards seemed pretty common place. So I figure they were released at least two years before that.

Just for fun, below is an episode of the third season of Arrested Development in which a jet pack is prominently featured. If you haven't seen this show at all, this is a great introduction to it. You won't be in on all the jokes but if you squint, you should be able to follow along.


No comments: